The Best in Fresh
By Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
Think “fresh”, what comes to mind? Fresh meals include seasonal, quality ingredients in their most basic state such as poultry, fish, beef, fruits, vegetables and whole grains. There is no right or wrong to creating a fresh meal, just keep your ingredients simple.
Keep your meals “fresh” with these tips:
- Chicken is most recognized for its low fat – high protein content. Greenway Chicken is a healthy addition to any family meal that will boost protein and satiety.
- Use healthier cooking methods such as baking, broiling, grilling, sautéing or poaching.
- Get creative in the kitchen, incorporate a variety of herbs and spices to enhance your fresh ingredients.
- Get in the habit of having at least one vegetable at lunch and dinner.
- Keep food safety in mind. Keep raw foods separate from ready-to-eat foods. Disinfect and clean surfaces that come in contact with poultry, using a meat thermometer, make sure ground meats reach at least 160°F and poultry reaches 165°F.
California Dreamin Chicken Tacos with Peach Slaw
Prep: 30 minutes
Makes: 8 Tacos
- ¼ cup mayonnaise, light or regular
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 can (14 oz) California Cling peach halves, in fruit juice*
- 2 cups coleslaw or broccoli slaw mix
- ¼ cup chopped coriander
- 1 lb Greenway® skinless boneless chicken breast cutlets, 3 to 4
- 2 tsp TexMex seasoning
- 8 large taco shells or small flour tortillas
- Hot sauce (optional)
- In a bowl, stir mayo with yogurt, lime juice, garlic, salt and cayenne. Grease grill and preheat barbecue to medium-high.
- Drain peaches well and chop. Place in a bowl along with slaw, coriander and mayo mixture. Stir.
- Sprinkle both sides of chicken with TexMex seasoning and a pinch of salt if there isn’t any in the seasoning mix. Set on barbecue and grill turning halfway through until cooked, 4 to 6 minutes in total. Thinly slice.
- To assemble, warm shells or tortillas. Toss chicken with slaw and serve with hot sauce if using.
*If fresh peaches are available, you may substitute 2 fresh peaches – peel and chop. Add during step 2.